Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Starting a Non Profit- Part one- starting! A Rose is a rose


Luckily my dear friend Wendy came over and held my hand through this process, with a helper it's so clear and easy.

My first barrier was locating the information, comments like "it's all online" from government offices was frustrating for me. yes they are online, millions and millions of files are online.

 Don't be embarrassed if you find the process anything but a day at the beach. It's written in Herewith in, therefore, the first party-patriarchal, capitalism language in which I am not fluent, don't feel bad if you aren't (or are- WENDY!- for that matter). ***Use the animation/ walk through that I talk about at the end of this entry:0)

1.Nuans Search- I found mine (okay Wendy found it online) at http://www.bestontario.com/web/en/ they were the cheapest for me (cash) and ttc-able, not recommending them, but I had a good experience, might even say lovely. We selected this one from a list on the government website Corporations Canada- http://www.corporations.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs03440.html#s1 but there are several options.

I am a cash user so I went where I could pay cash, a credit card seems to tremendously change the process for the easier, but don't let lack of credit be barrier- I beg you!Old stuff we aren't judging ourselves anymore- remember!

Also read over- http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs01191.html but just glance at it and ensure you name isn't in any violation.

This search is mandatory and is the process of registering your company name and connecting it directly to you. Also keeps tons of companies from having the exact same name- cause a vegan McDonalds would totally confuse folks and destroy the concept of the Big Mac?
I guest to protect the brand and the proprietors oh yes and the share holders!

My suggestion, get all these business folks to write bills and laws on domestic violence and child protection cause they go to such extreme lengths, tying up every single loop hole, addressing the smallest details to protect paper. Imagine what they could do for people, for vulnerable women and children.

.......Anyways.... The only confusing part was whether to be an Ontario or Canadian based non profit. I asked tons of folks and got alot of mixed reactions- generally no one really knew. My educated guess is that it relates to funding, the possibility of opening on more than one province or applying for funding? I dunno completely to be honest? When I went to Best Ontario in person at 425 University Ave. Floor 4, Suite 403, the worker spoke from what she knew, plain and simple. The Ontario one she could do on site, the federal needed to be sent to Ottawa. And second, if my federal application for my name was turned down (deemed inappropriate, or too similar to another already registered name) I would have to refile, pay again, and wait again. She also explained the Ontario Incorporating Government Office was right next door (a transit ride away for me from my place) as apposed to sending documents off twice to Ottawa and awaiting their return. Also I'm apply for a grant with an approaching deadline, so time was a factor. If it's the wrong decision I can expand into Canada for another fee. You'll know if I picked the wrong one if I have an emergency Bake sale with a "make it federal" Theme.

The cost was 48 dollars if you need it in 40 minutes, 75 dollars if you need it in 2 minutes. Or you can just pay the 48 dollars and have them email it. It was waiting for me in my email when I arrived home. The email is acceptable to the non profit gov peeps, I checked. It's 6 pages long, which I found funny because the application was only one short page.

Once you have your name search these two sites are extremely helpful...



https://lawhelpinteractive.org/login_form?template_id=template.2010-01-28.8048673396
***This is the interactive application process that walks you through teh application using an animation and then allows you to print out teh actual completed form!


http://www.volunteerlawyers.org/gethelp/item.1850-The_Charity_StartUp_Toolbox
more info and supports, truly awesome supports!

VLS- Pro Bono Law Ontario are good online resources I personally found that they have such a volume of calls it was a challenge to receive any in person/ on phone clarification. They offer the great animation above, the tool kit and great online supports but I called the government and Industry Canada for clarification on my questions..

Okay hope this helps!
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I forgot this two important sites...

    https://lawhelpinteractive.org/login_form?template_id=template.2010-01-28.8048673396
    This is the interactive application process

    http://www.volunteerlawyers.org/gethelp/item.1850-The_Charity_StartUp_Toolbox
    more info and supports

    ReplyDelete